The biggest threat to the health and safety of young children is an automobile accident. More young children die or are seriously injured each year from these crashes than from any illness or other type of accident. Yet, the tragedies resulting from automobile crashes can be reduced dramatically by the consistent, proper use of child safety seats and safety belts.
The Car Seat Program is a nonprofit program that is administered by Umatilla Morrow County Head Start. This is provided without federal or state funding and relies on donations from local groups and foundations.
The program is provided as a service to Umatilla and Morrow County Residents.
Car Seats are provided to low income families at a reduced cost. The price of the seats range from $10.00 to $20.00 depending on the seat needed.
Why a car seat distribution program?
- To provide protection for children
- To promote the safety belt habit
- To assist families to comply with Oregon State Law.
Oregon’s Child Restraint Law (ORS 811.210) states that a child under one year of age AND who weighs 20 pounds or less must be properly secured with a rear-facing child safety seat. A child over one year old AND between 20 and 40 pounds must be properly secured with a forward-facing child safety seat up to 40 pounds or the higher weight limit of the seat. A child over 40 pounds must be properly secured in a booster seat until they are age 8 OR 4’9’’ tall. A child taller than 4’9’’ OR age 8 or older must be properly secured with the safety belt that properly fits. “Properly fits” means the lap belt is positioned low across the thighs and the shoulder belt is positioned over the collarbone and away from the neck. The failure to properly use safety belts or child restraints is a class D traffic violation with a $97.00 fine.
- Children under the age of 13 years of age ride safer in the back seat.
- Publicity about the program will help increase the public awareness of the life saving and injury-reducing benefits of safety restraints.
You will get training on:
- Proper vehicle installation of safety seats
- Proper adjustment of seat to child
What to bring with you?
- The vehicle, with working seat belts in place, in which the seat is to be installed.
- The infant-child for which the seat is intended.
- Proof of current OHP, Oregon Trail Card, WIC Voucher, or SSI.
- Money to pay the reduced co-pay for the seat.
How does the program work?
Very simply, Umatilla-Morrow Head Start, Inc. provides car seats to low-income families at a reduced cost.
- CONVERTIBLE SEATS $30.00
- HIGH BACK BOOSTER $20.00
- NO BACK BOOSTER $10.00
Please call for an appointment