Promoting Young Children’s Social and Emotional Competence
Positive Development of Young Children’s Emotional Well-Being and Social Competence provides the foundation for the lifetime ability to successfully play, love, learn, and work within the home, school, and community.
Umatilla Morrow Head Start staff actively work with parents to intentionally plan, organize, and implement experiences that foster positive emotional development and social competence for all children.
This is accomplished by:
- Providing a learning environment that supports and enhances the development of social competence and emotional well-being.
- Developing social and emotional goals for all children that support the development and enhancement of social competence, emotional well-being, and readiness to learn. The Devereux Early Childhood Assessment (DECA) Program is one tool that is used to develop positive social and emotional goals. We also use the DECA as an outcome measure for social and emotional competence.
- Assisting parents in understanding typical social-emotional development.
- Helping parents understand the link between social competence and emotional well-being and school readiness.
- Assisting families in developing a nurturing environment that supports the development of positive attachment, social competence and emotional well-being.
- Assisting parents in identifying and implementing activities and routines in the home that support the positive development of their child’s social competence and emotional well-being.
- Assisting parents in using positive discipline techniques.
- Assisting parents in understanding the link between family mental health and wellness and child mental health and wellness.
- Early identification of social emotional developmental issues that might interfere with a child’s emotional well-being and school readiness.
- Supporting parents and center staff working in partnership to address challenging behaviors resulting from a child’s social-emotional development.
- Assisting parents in accessing resources needed to resolve stressful events that affect the social competence and emotional well-being for the family and children.
- Assisting families in understanding the link between healthy neighborhoods and children’s social competence and emotional well-being.
- Assisting families in developing the leadership skills to make positive changes in neighborhoods and communities.
Links to information about Mental Wellness at Umatilla Morrow Head Start:
- Mental Wellness at Umatilla Morrow Head Start
- Behaviors Which Indicate that an Infant or Toddler’s Social-Emotional Development may be at Risk
- Behaviors Which Indicate that a Preschool Child’s Social-Emotional Development may be at Risk
- Mental Health and Wellness Links – Other sites that provide information for parents and professionals on infants, toddlers, and young children.